English Language Requirement FAQ

I was born and brought up in the UK; do I still need to do the English test?
Yes, TfL has said the new English Language Requirement will apply to all drivers. However, if you were born and brought up here and have studied at secondary school level (GCSE), then you can submit your GCSE certificates with an A* to G grade as proof.

I am a British Citizen; will I still need to do the English test?
Yes, same as the previous answer. You can however still submit certificates from any past qualifications you may have attained from studying in secondary school level or similar.

I’ve misplaced or thrown away my GCSE result certificates; what can I do?
You can get in touch with the accrediting body who will be able to re-issue your certificate. There are 4 main Accreditations Officers in England; they are AQA, OCR, WJEC and Edexcel. Links are below

AQA: http://www.aqa.org.uk/contact-us/past-results-and-lost-certificates

OCR: http://www.ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/lost-certificates/

WJEC: http://www.wjec.co.uk/students/certificates/

EDEXCEL: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/Services/replacement-certificates.html

For other AO’s please visit – https://www.gov.uk/replacement-exam-certificate/who-to-contact

I am currently a Private Hire License holder; do I need to do the English test now?
No, you do not have to meet the English Language requirement until you renew your private hire licence. The transition date mentioned is for new applicants and renewal applicants who are applying between 14th October 2016 to 3oth September 2017. Anyone applying or renewing their private hire licence after the 3oth September 2017 will need to have the English Language requirements proof ready before sending off their application form.

I have a non-UK or ESOL/EFL qualification, will that be enough?
As long as the subject was taught in English and up to the B1 standard, TfL will consider the qualification. You must provide the original certificate and a letter from the accrediting body or teaching institution to confirm you passed the course.

Is the English test hard?
The Private Hire English Requirement set by TfL requires testing to be done at a SELT (Secure English Language Test) test centre. The standard of testing are much higher and therefore candidates may feel a little less confident. However with the correct English Language course there is no reason not to pass the test.

Where do I go for the English test?
The B1 English Language test must be taken at a TfL approved SELT test centre. These are currently offered at 3 locations by Trinity College. The locations are in Holborn, Hammersmith and Croydon.

How can I prepare for the TfL English Test?
It is best to take a B1 English Language course, we offer different levels of courses depending on the level of English you can speak. Read more about our TfL B1 English course price

How long does it take to get the English Language certificate?
Once you have passed your B1 English language test, the accrediting body will issue the certificate by post. This can take up to 15 workings days.

Do I have to do writing as a part of the English Language Requirement?
Yes, all 4 modules of the B1 Level of English Language will need to be passed. This includes Reading & Writing and Speaking & Listening.

How long is the TfL Private Hire English Test?
The test can be completed in 1 day, the Reading & Writing test is 2 hours long and the Speaking & Listening test is around 18 minutes.

What happens if I fail my TfL English Language Test?
If you fail, you will receive a letter telling you that you have failed along with a report on what parts you need to improve on. At this point you can bring the results to us, so we can arrange refresher training. You can then book a re-test.

Get more information

On the B1 English Language Course

Full Name




Which package?

What's your level of English?